The Washington Island Observer is owned and published by more than 20 families who love the Island and live here at least part of the year. It has been published since 1981. The Observer has won several Wisconsin Newspaper Awards from 2012 to the present. More than 70 volunteers have written stories for the paper in the past few years. With over 1,000 subscribers, as well as more than 2,000 newsstand readers, The Observer provides great advertising value for many types of northeast Wisconsin businesses. For information about advertising or to suggest stories or pictures for the Observer, see the Contact page!
In the Observer you’ll find…
- Responsible reporting on essential Island issues
- Profiles and features
- Previews and reviews of books, plays and musical performances
- Information about events related to the natural world
- Sports coverage
- Timely, accurate, and thorough calendars of events
- Opportunities for reader involvement
2022 Board Members
Letha Heaton, Jane Jessen, Martha Nerenhausen, Elizabeth Sachs, Andrew Sachs, John Yancey, Karen Yancey
Read about the history of the Washington Island Observer, written by Jane Hampden from the Columbia Journalism Review, Sept./Oct. 2013.